Aaron Hernandez

Aaron Hernandez’s cousin in custody for refusing to testify in front of Grand Jury

Aaron Hernandez Photo / AP - Boston Herald Ted Fitzgerald PoolAaron Hernandez’s cousin, Tanya Cummings-Singleton, 37, is currently being held in a Massachusetts correctional facility after being held in contempt of court for refusing to testify in front of a grand jury in violation of a subpoena.

Cummings-Singleton has been in custody since August 1 at the South Bay House of Correction in Suffolk County according to a spokesperson. She will remain incarcerated at the discretion of the judge, who can hold her as long as necessary to compel her testimony. There is no bail for people held in contempt.

The grand jury convened in Fall River, Mass., is investigating Hernandez’ role in the June 17 murder of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd. Grand jury proceedings are not public and officials have stated they will not comment on sealed proceedings.

“Pursuant to the Massachusetts rules of criminal procedure, we are not permitted to comment on anything concerning a closed grand jury proceeding,” said Gregg Miliote, spokesman for Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter.

According to prosecutors, Cummings-Singleton’s credit cards and cell-phone have been linked to Ernest Wallace, one of Hernandez’ alleged accomplices. Authorities say that a credit card issued to Cummings-Singleton was used to purchase a bus ticket for Wallace from Georgia to his parents’ house in Miramar, Fla. the week after Lloyd’s body was found in a North Attleboro industrial park.

According to a recently unsealed search warrant, police found records that a cell phone paid for and registered to Tanya Cummings was used by Ernest Wallace, even minutes before the murder, although the phone itself has not been found.

Wallace has pleaded not guilty to being an accessory after the fact and is being held on $500,000 bail.

Police seized four credit cards and a cell phone from Cummings-Singleton. According to the unsealed search warrants, authorities also searched on July 24 a house at 114 Lake Ave., where Cummings-Singleton lived and seized the SUV that authorities believe may be linked to an unsolved Boston double homicide in 2012.

It is not clear when Cummings-Singleton will reappear before the grand jury.

Source: AP

Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Share this post!
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Email Pinterest



Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *