Aaron Hernandez

Hernandez lawyers seek dismissal of Boston murder indictment


In this April 15, 2015, file photo, former New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez listens as the guilty verdict is read during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Mass. The Bristol District Attorney's Office said Friday, July 24, 2015, that the investigation and trial cost them nearly a half-million dollars in overtime and expenses. Hernandez was found guilty of first-degree murder in the shooting death of Odin Lloyd in June 2013, and faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison without parole. (Dominick Reuter/Pool Photo via AP, File)

In this April 15, 2015, file photo, former New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez listens as the guilty verdict is read during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Mass. The Bristol District Attorney’s Office said Friday, July 24, 2015, that the investigation and trial cost them nearly a half-million dollars in overtime and expenses. Hernandez was found guilty of first-degree murder in the shooting death of Odin Lloyd in June 2013, and faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison without parole. (Dominick Reuter/Pool Photo via AP, File)

BOSTON (AP) — Lawyers for former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez have filed motions to dismiss the indictment charging their client with a double slaying in Boston in 2012.

The motion says there was insufficient evidence presented to the grand jury to establish probable cause; the state impaired the integrity of grand jury proceedings; and the court lacks jurisdiction.

Prosecutors say Hernandez killed Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado after a chance encounter at a nightclub. They say after de Abreu accidentally bumped into Hernandez, Hernandez followed the men in a Toyota 4Runner, pulled up to their car and opened fire.

Hernandez is serving a life sentence for the unconnected 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd.

The defense motions were filed last month. A spokesman for the Suffolk district attorney said Monday that prosecutors haven’t yet filed their response.

Source: AP

Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Share this post!
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Email Pinterest

Comments

tab  

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *