Steubenville Rape

Steubenville High School Rapist, Trent Mays, Released From Juvenile Detention


Trent Mays, 17, left, and 16-year-old Ma'lik Richmond sit at the defense table before the start of their trial on rape charges in juvenile court on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 in Steubenville, Ohio. Photo /AP - Keith Srakocic, PoolSTEUBENVILLE, Ohio (AP) — A second former Ohio high school football player convicted of raping a West Virginia girl following an alcohol-fueled party has been released from juvenile detention.

Trent Mays was released Tuesday after serving a two-year sentence. He will be put on probationary status and will have a sex offender classification hearing, defense attorney Adam Neeman told WTOV-TV in Steubenville.

“He is an extremely promising young man, eager to prove himself on behalf of his family and his community,” Nemann said in a statement.

Mays, 18, and one of his Steubenville High School teammates, Ma’Lik Richmond, were each found delinquent in the 2012 rape of the 16-year-old girl. Mays was also found delinquent of using his phone to take a photo of the nude victim.

Richmond, 18, received a one-year sentence and rejoined the football team last fall, and in November a judge agreed to less restrictive sex offender reporting requirements. Richmond had been ordered to register his address every six months for the next 20 years. The judge agreed to reclassify him so that he has to register only once a year for the next decade.

A statement from the girl’s family and their attorney says they hope Mays and Richmond realize the pain they caused and maintain a higher moral standard in the future.

The case drew international attention because of the role of social media publicizing the assault, and initial allegations of a cover-up by local authorities and frustration that more football players weren’t charged, including some who witnessed the assaults.

A grand jury investigating whether other laws were broken in the case brought charges against six adults, including Steubenville superintendent Michael McVey.

McVey has pleaded not guilty to charges including felony counts of tampering with evidence and obstructing justice. His trial is scheduled to begin Monday.

William Rhinaman, the Steubenville schools’ former technology director, has also pleaded not guilty to charges including tampering with evidence and obstructing justice.

Charges against the other four adults have been resolved.

Source: AP

Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Share this post!
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Email Pinterest

Comments

tab  

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *